Monday, May 21, 2012

Propagate This

This fig branch made it through the winter and now produces fruit in Nashville.
We're propagating this Saturday from 3-5 pm at Three Rivers Market and celebrating the end of Urban Land Spring. We'll start fig trees from cuttings and talk about the importance of propagating your Urban Land Scoutedness throughout your lands, wherever you are and with whatever is at hand.

I've got plans in the works for future Urban Land Scout workshops for families and for middle school students this summer and fall. Please stay tuned. In the meantime go outdoors land scouting and be attentive to the land where you live.


2 comments:

  1. Is this how you propagate fig trees? I have one lonely fig and I'd love it to have a friend.

    I've started my "journal" and keep track of observations.

    I ate some strawberries and cherries from my yard so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgen, I've had good luck cutting a slender branch (no larger than a fat pencil) at least a 8" long and keeping it in a vase or jar of water in a window. I water it periodically. If you cut a branch now (late August in East Tennessee) be prepared for the leaves to shrivel and drop off. New buds will soon emerge as well as white roots poking out in the water.

    In the spring or fall you can transplant the rooted branch to a container filled with potting soil and tend it from there. Hope that's helpful.

    -kr

    ReplyDelete